Wednesday 23 June 2010

Post 1.

In preperation for our exams in the future, we need to understand the definition of the word 'skill', so we can relate to this when we are in the exam. Here are a few websites that define the word 'skill'.

Dictionary.com definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skill
This website had a straight forward, and used simple language to understand. Here it uses words such as 'ability'; this could link in with my future media project, in the way that I prove I can complete certain tasks. For example editing, as I can have the ability to do well from prior knowledge and experience.

Wikipedia definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skills
This website was a lot more detailed and used examples which would help make the point. They also highlighted the point that skills can be learned. This is particularly true when starting a media project, as you always learn new skills, and these skills will help improve my production to the best of my ability.

Word net definition: http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=skill
This websites wasn't the best for me, as it only gave other words for skill, such as accomplishment with the quote 'the ability that has been acquired through training'. This is a similar point as Wikipedia, saying that it has been taught to a person, and in this way, they have acquired the skill.

All words.com definition: http://www.allwords.com/word-skill.htm
I feel that this was the best website, as not only was this easy and simply explained, but also gave a comparison; that skills were not innate talents that we have naturally, but its what we learn.


My understanding of 'Skill' is the learned, or trained ability of an individual in a certain area that they enjoy. This is not innate and has to be learned in some way or another, and some may have better knowledge of this skill than others, but you may have better skills in other areas than others.


This can be related to my media productions in the future, as I need practice and re-jog my memory on certain skills that i have previously acquired in the past for the production.

1 comment:

  1. Watch your spelling!

    Detail the different types of skills we've identified and relate your thoughts on skills for the future directly into the processes of production.

    A little more on this one.

    ReplyDelete